John Henry’s General Store
We think John Henry’s General Store is very cool. The original store was founded on this site in the 1940’s. Since the business was purchased in July 2015 by Allyson Nelson & Richard Gaudreau a lot of work has been done on the store, both physically and in terms of the variety of merchandise available.
Summer 8am to 9pm, 7 days a week (from Victoria Day through Labour Day)
Winter 10am to 6pm - 7 days a week
To confirm store hours, please call: 604-883-2336, Ext. 2
Our Famous Ice Cream
John Henry’s General Store is famous for its ice cream. 12 flavours and a range of cones and number of scoops are all available. Parents have been bringing their kids and themselves to John Henry’s for many, many years. Ice cream cones and ice cream novelties (such as Magnums, Klondike Bars, Drumsticks and Popsicles) are available throughout the day during store hours in the spring, summer and fall (closed after Thanksgiving, but re-opening for our Coast Christmas Market at John Henry's.
What’s in the Store?
Provisions for our neighbours, boaters, campers and guests arriving in Garden Bay throughout the year can be found inside the store you.
- Basic groceries, including dairy, eggs (our double-yoked eggs, white and brown, are very popular), produce (limited to what we are able to provide from our slightly remote location), deli meats and frozen chicken, beef and pork;
- Everyday groceries, including jams, coffee & tea, breakfast cereal, pasta and sauce, BBQ sauces, and much more;
- Specialty foods, generally locally produced, including condiments, cooking sauces, chocolate bars, spice blends;
- Personal care products
- Household care products
- Snacks and drinks
- Basic hardware
- Basic housewares
- Basic camping supplies, including graham crackers, marshmallows and chocolate for making S’Mores!
- Giftware, including souvenirs, stuffed animals and kids gifts, t-shirts and hats and many other gift items;
- Fully stocked liquor store with a wide selection of cold beers, including local craft beer, wine (from British Columbia producers, the US, Europe, South America and South Africa) and spirits. (Please note: Liquor cannot be sold before 9am each morning, but is sold 7 days a week.)
Since renovating the store and substantially changing the merchandise mix we have had incredibly positive comments from our guests.
Other Items available through the store
- Propane – we fill tanks ranging from 5 lbs through 100 lbs.
- Ice – we produce both party/cube and block ice. Boaters tell us our block ice is so good it lasts between 7 and 10 days in their coolers!